Sunday, February 26, 2012

Canada We have a Problem here

I haven't entirely made my mind up about the robo-call scandal.  I've got a feeling it's going to get worse. (I hope I'm wrong about that)   But one thing is for sure; we have a problem here.

The Liberals are leveling some very serious allegations of corruption, and tampering as it comes to last year's federal election.  The scheme involved  Edmonton marketing firm placing robo-calls on behalf of the Conservative Party misdirecting voters to different polls.  The Conservatives have admitted it happened in 9 ridings, and have fired what Prime Minister Harper calls one rogue worker. the Liberals place that number of ridings affected much higher at 27 and have added accusations of voter harassment.  

It's worth repeating; Canada we have a problem here.  I've worked for Elections Canada enough to know a bit about the ins and outs on how the agency works.  At a polling station for example nothing happens without the Deputy Return Officer (D.R.O.)If they should step away for any reason business shuts down.  Another example; If a scrutineer gets too rough in any way with voters D.R.O.'s can ask them to leave,  and I in serious cases can have them arrested.  Another rule; candidate representatives or signs representing any candidate aren't allowed within a certain distance of the polling station. This makes me wonder how the Conservative election worker could come that close to voters as Bob Rae and the Liberals allege in today's Toronto Star.

The scandal looks bad for Canadian politics in general, worse for the Conservative Party.   If I were Harper, I'd appoint the most anti-Conservative judge I could find and call an Inquiry.  I'd give him some teeth, and find a way to do it outside Ottawa in order to keep the political games to a minimum. If the worst is true of the party I would immediately call by-elections for all ridings affected.

 This won't go away simply because Harper fired the person allegedly responsible, and kind of admitted he was wrong.  This is our electoral system, and Harper is the guy in charge.  He first needs to admit there is a serious problem here, and address it quickly.  His political future could depend on it.


No comments:

Post a Comment