Friday, March 2, 2012

Happy 30th Milton Toastmasters

On Tuesday Night the Milton Toastmasters celebrated their 30th anniversary with an open house for the public. The toastmasters for those who don't know is an organization that helps people with their public speaking, and presentation skills.  People learn by making speeches before the club, and are given feedback by their fellow members.  The Milton club is held at the Canadian Legion on Charles St, and current club president is Milton's Ward 8 Councilor Zeeshan Hamid. 

The event featured three speakers.  The first was my favourite; Susan Lamb-Robinson gave a speech entitled "How Big is your But."  It was about how we all allow often let our fears get in the way of achieving our dreams.  It struck a chord with me because it forced me to ask myself what I had to lose in taking a risk, and consider what obstacles I had standing in my own way.  It was very thought provoking.

The other two were very brief.  One was about how farming has changed over the years, and served as a good reminder to buy Canadian and support local farmers at the grocery store.  The other I found quite funny was a timely rant on how complicated the Income Tax system is. 

In surveys public speaking ranks up there as one of the top fears.  It was inspiring to watch three diverse people speak with humour and eloquence about different topics.

1 comment: