Monday, March 26, 2012

And the New N.D.P. leader is... Thomas Mulcair

I'm a total a political junkie who never gets tired of talking all politics  This past weekend's N.D.P. leadership convention was interesting viewing for me.  And when I wasn't watching it on television, I was certainly following along on twitter.

It took four ballots, but as we all know by now the new N.D.P. leader is Thomas Mulcair from Quebec.It wasn't really much of a surprise; well before the convention he was touted as the front runner, and as near to a gauranteed winner as there was.  What was a surprise to me anyway was that it actually took four ballots.  I had my doubts whether Mulcair would win if it went beyond 2 ballots.

I find myself greeting the party's final decision with a mixture of skepticism, and disappointment.  The N.D.P has been an ideals party that has made a general habit of going against the status quo.  I would've thought just to be contrary, they'd pick an outspoken woman- Peggy Nash who I believe could really take Harper on, or the dynamic young person in Nikki Ashton.  Or maybe they would choose to completely remake the image of an NDP'r by choosing Martin Singh.  Or they could look to the future and the possibility of uniting with the Liberals by picking Nathan Cullen, or go the sentimental route and pick one of Layton's favourites Brian Topp as leader.

The very fact the N.D.P. had such a depth of choice speaks well to the diversity of  their membership, and the abilities of the candidates.  That Mulcair won against these five others was no small feat, and demonstrates his own abilities, but I'm skeptical he's the man for the job.  The one phrase that springs to mind when I'm thinking of Thomas Mulcair is "wolf in sheep's clothing."  He's got style, but he also comes across as being the guy that keeps you guessing, wondering what will he do next. That unpredictability will make him an interesting figure as he attempts to continue molding  the N.D.P. into a serious contender.

Where does this leave the Liberals? I'm wondering that myself.  Thomas Mulcair is fairly clear on the fact he doesn't want to unite with the party, for now that's okay.  The thing is such an alliance may be necessary for either to find their way to government; so I wouldn't be so hasty to count out such a course of action.  If I were Mulcair I would spend some time worrying about the Liberals, if only because they tend to sneak up on you when your back is turned.  And because people are at their most dangerous when you count them out.  Bob Rae has been stealing lots of attention while the N.D.P. has been running the leadership contest after all.

Good Luck Mr. Mulcair.  You've a tough job ahead of you.  I look forward to seeing what you'll make of the party.

 



No comments:

Post a Comment