Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Toronto: A City of Wasted Potential?

I don't live in Toronto.  I rarely go to Scarborough,and when I do, it's usually by car.  Logically I shouldn't have any horse in this race,  but tonight I've been trying to figure out why I'm so annoyed with Toronto City Council's decision to go along with Karen Stintz's plan to build part of the Eglinton LRT (Light Rapid Transit) line above ground.

I think it's probably that even though I don't live there; I still love Toronto- it has the potential to be the world class city it wants to.  And that's what I can't stand- the city has potential, and it's never been realized.  Such is the case I think with Transit.

Essentially there are two options; the first- Transit City, featuring a mix of above ground light rapid transit (LRT), and underground LRT.  The first option; Stintz's plan is $2 billion under budget and would look at advancing other lines than the Eglinton.  She gets points for that; saving money is a huge bonus.  But I think it's fairly short-sighted.  It'll save  money now... but in the future will it? When completed the LRT above ground will be exposed to the elements; and that Toronto weather isn't the greatest, especially in winter.  One of my parents remembers looking out their office window and seeing the Scarborough Rapid Transit frozen solid between stations. They say that passengers were lowered to street levels by ladders.   I just don't think the added maintenance costs even it out.
 
Ford's plan is to bury the LRT by building Subways.  Subways are my transportation of choice while in Toronto. They will also cost a lot more to build, and inconvenience people for a lot longer while digging the tunnels.  But in the long run, I think they could save a lot of money too.  On his side Ford also has Metrolinx looking to do the work, for cheaper by outsourcing it.  He has signed

If it were up to me I'd pick subways.  Stintz is right about one thing; the city needs a solution quickly, and that could be where she's coming from with this. Transit City is established already with some limited provincial funding.  but it's a short-term fix.  Ford's idea of LRT subways  may inconvenience people for a while. But in the long run subways are underground; they don't block traffic or freeze during the winter.  Besides, subways are what Rob Ford said he was going to do; he was fairly blunt on that subject during the election.  And guess what? People still voted him in, meaning Subways are what the people want.  Isn't that what democracies are all about? Listen to the people... because what they want, and what's the easiest or cheapest solution isn't always the right one.

Toronto; you have potential.  Now smarten up and live up to it.  It's never too late to change your mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment