Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Canada Day in Milton: Where Past meets Future

Canada Day July 1, is one of my favourite holidays.  It's the one day where the chest swells with pride, and it's okay to stand up and say "I am Canadian" out loud.  In Milton it's even more meaningful than just a long weekend- it's a day where the past meets the future.

The day starts off with honouring the past- a Veterans Breakfast.  The Breakfast is followed by a quick wreath-laying ceremony at the cenotaph, and then a parade over to the fairgrounds.  The other main event is the Citizenship ceremony at centre stage.   

Last year was my first year as a member of the organizing committee; my second as the   Looking out over the crowd I was reminded of how great a country this is.  In the crowd sat people from all over the world; many countries less prosperous than this one.  Many have fled war, and all have worked hard to at last become Canadians- to vote, be able to go to school; to do so much we take for granted.  It made me appreciate the fact that I just happened to be born in Canada, and can do all that even more than I do already.

Friday July 1, is Canada Day.  Come out and celebrate with the committee at the Milton Fairgrounds.  See the Milton Canada Day website for a full schedule of events, and a bus schedule for the "event shuttle." 

No comments:

Post a Comment