Saturday, May 28, 2011

Walking Piano: It's a Want, not a Need

I had to chuckle a bit at the title of a thread on the Hawthorne Villager: Milton Walking Piano Proposal.  And then I read it.  The main reaction I had was it was a neat idea, but if a corporate sponsor couldn't be found for all costs associated with it, it shouldn't happen.  We shouldn't use the community fund for it either- not when we're trying to save for a hospital expansion, and there are numerous other infrastructure projects on the go or need moving up. I classify it as a want, not a need.

I have read through the report, and Town Staff pointed out the Arts Centre was coming in on budget.  "However, given the fact that the Theatre is not yet complete, and until staff are operational in the facility, there remains a list of “fit out” items which will need to be purchased."  Initial plans in March 2010 called for only the theatre's shell to be built, so in all likelihood there will be extra costs.   

Town Staff wants part of the costs shared with the Community Fund, which is a bad idea.  I think the spirit of the Community Fund is to provide money for events, facilities, and causes that will benefit the majority of people in the town of Milton.  A "Walking Piano" only benefits me if I go into the Arts Centre, and say "hey that looks cool" and walk up the stairs.  I don't  buy into the physical fitness argument- the Milton Sports Centre expansion will do more for my fitness  than the walking piano.


It's about priorities too.  This is the kind of project you usually  hear about when governments have been in power too long- Council has been there barely six months.  The priority with the Arts Centre should be to get it up and running smoothly- and try to stabilize the funding for it.  There are so many other things going on around town that need to be expanded, fixed, and built.  A "Walking Piano" isn't one of them.

1 comment:

  1. HI there.
    My name is Sophia and I'm contacting you from a company called T-post (www.tpostmag.com). I would like to talk to you about a co-writing opportunity for our news-site.

    If interested, please contact me at sophia@tpostmag.com and we can discuss further details.
    All the best

    ReplyDelete