Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Progressive Conservative "Change Book"

The Progressive Conservative platform Changebook is a winner from a communications standpoint.  It hits on the themes of voters who want change, family, and general fatigue with the broken promises and scandal of the McGuinty regime.  Reading it, you can practically hear Hudak's voice in parts of it. I think it captures a mood in Ontario that maybe the Liberals haven't caught onto yet.

And it really does promise change for families; income splitting for parents; tax breaks for caregivers with elderly family members.  Help with red tape for small business, a promise to put more money into healthcare.  The idea of "Justice for all," to make prisoners in Ontario Jails work for their privlages.  Hudak wants to clean up government and has promised no tax increases unless they have a mandate to do so.  A noble promise yes, but who actually gives their government a mandate to raise taxes? It's ridiculous. 

But; what's in it for me? I'm not a family yet.  I'm not a caregiver for an elderly family member, or a small business.  I'm a little bit past the initial university/ college stage to benefit from changes to the apprenticeship program. I'm just a single person trying to make my way in the world; keep up with all my bills. It appears there's nothing really in the platform for me for people like me... I was hoping for an HST cut at least.   It's all well and good to base a platform around families; just remember single people live here too.

No comments:

Post a Comment