Wednesday, May 16, 2012

"The only bad job, is not having a job-" Jim Flaherty

"The only bad job, is not having a job," Finance Minister Jim Flaherty, May, 2012.

He meant that job searchers, and the unemployed were being too picky in what they apply for. On one hand he has a point.  There is a minority of us who want that perfect job and there's nothing wrong with that.  But then there are those of us who at some point realize that search for the perfect job has to give way to the drive for cash, the feeling of self-confidence you get when you receive a well-earned pay cheque.  Perhaps that's what the Finance Minister meant by that comment.

On the other hand,  the Minister is a out of touch.  What he  has missed is that because of the higher unemployment rates, this is an employers market.  I am willing to take a retail job and have been interviewed for retail jobs in the last few months but for whatever reason I haven't got them.  My resume screams media- it's full of positions related to media  and one customer service position.  A perspective employer in a retail type of setting looks at it and wonders to themselves if I will stick around for a while, or immediately leave for the next big job.  And while it is a reasonable question to ask, it's also one of the problems faced by job hunters.

Another issue is the lack of jobs.  In Ontario things are bad and have a long way to go before recovery.  Over the last while for example I'm finding fewer jobs to apply for within my field- two so far this week.  Part of that is due to cutbacks at lot of media outlets; Rogers, CBC, and Post Media are in the process of cutting jobs. The market will soon be full of Journalists more qualified, and experienced than I.  Another part of it is the fact it is a changing industry- I can't think of many others where technology has made such a big difference. 

A third problem is the hike for Old Age Security (O.A.S.) by two years outlined in the budget .  I appreciate it had to be done, but I wonder if the consequences of the action were fully thought out.  Naturally older adults are going to be hanging onto those jobs two years longer than they would otherwise, and I can't really blame them.  But it creates a problem on the other end of the job market with again fewer jobs for the younger job searchers.   A more balanced approach would've been better; hike the O.A.S. by two years, and put something in play for those of us younger workers trying our best to get into the job market.

I am willing to relocate for the right offer. However, I wouldn't leave Ontario without a job to go to; my finances are such that if I were to make a physical move it would have to be employment first and then I move.  And I think most people if pressed are the same way.  If Flaherty expects us to relocate for employment, put the money where  your mouth is; give us a grant or a tax cut that will  make it easier for us to move around.

The world of job searching, and employment is completely different from when Jim Flaherty was first starting out.  And he would do well to remember that the next time he opens his mouth.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment