Thursday, July 21, 2011

News Of The World

There are so many aspects to this story, I don't know where to begin blogging about it.  What's jumping out to me in a huge way is the accountability factor.  Where were the voices in these people's heads asking the question "what if I get caught" Where were the editors saying "Where did you get those stories?" In my jobs so far I've come up with the ideas, pitched them to my boss and they okay them, or offer their feedback, even saying no sometimes.

The accountability for the phone hacking should go straight to the top.  In Journalism- and generally in media your reputation is everything; and something like this  could ruin reputations.  With the hundreds of thousands of pounds going on in payoffs I find it hard to believe someone higher than the "managing editor didn't know about them.  At the very least Rebekah Brooks knew, if not one of the Murdochs did. 

Journalism is a powerful profession.  Reporters are able to tell stories that matter, and shed the light onto issues of public importance.  We're able to shape public opinion, and as the saying goes "speak truth to power."  It's a heady responsibility, and in the case of the News of the World, people took it for granted.  The buck needs to stop somewhere, not be flipped back and forth- and this one should go all the way to the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment