Thursday, June 17, 2010

Lifting The Curtain

In this week's Halton Compass, I did a story on Ted Chudleigh's nomination as the Progressive Conservative (PC) candidate in next year's provincial election.  In town for the meeting, and events related to the ongoing fight against  the HST was PC Leader Tim Hudak.  Following the formal part of the meeting, my colleague from the Champion and I were offered time with the leader... we're reporters and it's not everyday we're offered time with the leader of the opposition, and someone who could potentially be the next Premier of Ontario.  So we took it, and my colleauge's article is also in this week's Champion.  He chose to focus on the hospital, and the local funding' portion. 

But here's where we differ. I read the situation in a completely different manner.  The way I read it was here was a man who is probably 1 year out from fighting a provincial election.  Hudak wants to make frontline healthcare a priority, but admits he needs a better business environment if the province is to continue its financial recovery.  And on some level I think he realizes financially the needed financial committment may not be possible.  He wants to disband the LHINS (Local Health Integrated Network) but doesn't know what if anything to replace them with.

Call me an eternal optimist, but I think we should take a wait-and see approach before we discount the DC idea.  It's a long time between now and next October.

No comments:

Post a Comment