Thursday, April 22, 2010

Regional Transit

I was at a presentation given by the Region on its transportation plan until 2031.  It was interesting- improvements to area roads, and the addition of high-speed bus lines along Trafalgar and Dundas.  But the one thing that was missing was the idea of regional transit.  I asked afterwards, the response was no actual region-wide transit has been planned.  The alternative: coordinating municipal transit systems.

Now to an extent I understand the reasons.  The logistics alone of setting up a region-wide system. would be a big challenge.  A region this size- stretching from the shores of Lake Ontario, as far north as I think #7 highway and across four municipalities. The smaller population in the northern parts of Halton region might not make for high ridership.

The costs for setting up such a system would be high, with likely not a lot of pay-off.  Transit hardly ever makes money.  I've often thought of public transit as a "if you build it, they will come" scenario.  In other words I think  if you planned it, and executed it well, making it affordable people would take it.  I know I would. There were times when I went to Sheridan in Oakville I would've gladly leftt the car at home in favour of the bus.  But I couldn't because I would've had to first take the bus into Peel, then down to Oakville.  It's slightly better now, but still the only way to Oakville is an over-priced Go Bus that goes down Hwy 25 to the commuter lot at Bronte.   I don't know about you, but I want a better way.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I remember when we first moved here, I considered taking a job in Mississauga, but we only had one car and there was literally no way of getting there.

    One point, though - transit NEVER makes money. In fact, I believe the only transit system on the planet that pays entirely for itself is in Hong Kong. Everywhere else, transit is publicly subsidized anywhere from 20% in large cities to 70% or more in small cities and suburbs.

    ReplyDelete